I love to add Ragi as part of our diet at least once in a week. This is one of the dishes that I make often. It is called Ragi Chapatti or Ragi Roti. In South India Ragi Roti is made with vegetables, chilies and onions. It is also called the Raagi Adai. It tastes very good but has a thicker texture. So it may not be very kid friendly. Here is a softer version of the Ragi Roti that kids will surely enjoy. This recipe was shared by one of my friends. Wheat flour is added to give a little extra binding. If you want to make it gluten free, just skip it. Potato is added which gives a very soft texture. I also make without potatoes at times, in which case the rotis will be little thicker.
Benefits of Raagi
- Helps in Weight Loss. Ragi benefits weight loss in a unique way and holds a significant place in diet programs for weight loss.
- Controls Diabetes.
- Reduces Cholesterol.
- Good Source of Protein and Amino Acids.
- Treats Anemia.
- Helps Digestion.
- Increases Lactation.
- Reverts Skin Aging.
You can even make this like regular roti without adding any vegetables to it as a regular roti.
Ingredients (4 Serving)
- Ragi Flour – 1 cup
- Wheat Flour – 1/4 cup
- Potato – 1 (boiled and mashed)
- Onion – 1 (finely chopped/grated)
- Green Chilli and Ginger , add as per taste
- Salt – To Taste
- Ghee – For making the rotis (if needed), advised without ghee
- Boil and mash one big potato.
- Finely chop onion.
- Take the mashed potato, onion, flours, green chilli, ginger and salt in a bowl.
- Mix it and knead it to form a stiff dough. The moisture from the potato will be enough to form the dough. Sprinkle few drops of water if needed.
- Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Take a gooseberry sized portion of the dough and roll it out using dry wheat flour.
- Heat a tawa and cook the roti on both sides. Small brown spots appear on both sides as an indication that it is cooked. It will take about a minute on each side.
- Remove the ragi roti from the tawa and store in a hot box until you are ready to to eat. Tasty and healthy ragi rotis are ready to be served.
Serving Raagi Roti
- Serve with any veg or non veg side dish just like you serve with regular chapattis.